I’ve been running the electrolysis tank on the old cast iron Dutch oven for awhile every day and am seeing some great results. It still needs some more rust removed but the water was so nasty and rust colored I decided to start over with some clean water.
At the end of each day the Dutch oven has come out of the tank and scrubbed with a brush made for washing drinking glasses. The crud and rust that has come off after each scrubbing has been impressive.
The cage had a lot of rust built up on it when I removed it and dumped the water. Most of the buildup came off easily with a wire brush. While it was out we went ahead and hit it with the power washer. Hopefully tomorrow the cage will go back in the tank and we will fill it and see how it does with fresh water and sodium carbonate.
This picture of the cage was taken AFTER it was quickly attacked with the wire brush. The bottom two steel bands looked just like the top one when this Dutch oven went into the tank.
This was taken at the end of the first day of removing rust from the Dutch oven. You should have seen the water at the end of day 3. That heavy number nine wire is suspending the oven in the tank and off the bottom. The negative connector goes on that wire.
And finally here you can see the inside of the old cast iron. You can see the bottom of this old cast iron again! When you compare it the picture that was taken at the beginning you get an idea of how much rust was removed. There is still more work to be done, but I am satisfied with my setup. The battery charger has been running at 2 amps during the process so far. We could kick it up to 10 amp but I’m satisfied with doing this slow and easy.
The Dutch oven is out and I’ve dropped in a rough and rusted number 8 skillet. After an hour in the tank I found this on the top of the water.